Monday, November 19, 2018

To My Mother.. (part 2)

As I continued my Virtue’s project, I never forgot my true purpose in constitutiing this project: obliging to it being memorable. I collected that my mother is memorable and that she deserves an entire project based on her influence on me. However, I was in charge of portraying all her magnificent qualities through my writing and the use of rhetorical devices. But I feared failure. I feared I would not do my mother any justice. I feared that my project wouldn’t be memorable. How could such a project have this effect on me? Perhaps it's the amount of love I have in her gave me anxiety. The following virtues were hardest to write due to the amount of anxiety and stress I felt.

Key #6 Acceptance:
A person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it or protest it.


A key to failure is accepting your mistakes and moving on. But it does not only involve accepting your mistakes but also the people around you. To accept someone is to show respect for and validation of who they are, what they do, and for the life and path they chose. It by no means agreeing with or approving of anything about another. A place where one feels safe to be who they are is a happy place. My mother was never quick to judge. She told me that we all have different qualities and opinions but that doesn't mean we can’t respect one another.
Acceptance doesn’t just involve accepting others but it also involves accepting yourself. There have been many moments where I didn’t feel comfortable in my own skin. I absolutely hated my body, the clothes I wore, even the way I spoke. I just wanted to shrivel away until I was less than dust. One day my mother asked me why I was so obsessed with losing weight or why I always wore the same clothes or why I never went out anymore. I told her that I wanted to change. I wanted to become better. She didn’t get angry or upset. She calmly said “you need to accept who are first and then improve those amazing qualities.”  What she said was true. You need to see the truth about yourself and accept it and then decide whether or not you want to change.
Key #9 Love:
An intense feeling of deep connection.
The first person I ever loved was my mother and she was the first person who loved me in return. Love is the constant source of pleasure and pain. But we can’t predict which it will be from one moment to the next. Love is such a great experience. Everyone’s definition of love is different. My definition is my mom. She is the only person who holds the key to my heart. Loving someone else gives you a purpose in life. It makes you happy. It makes you scared. It makes you mad. It makes you go insane but love is what makes you feel. Love is what makes you alive. Love will get you through the bad days in a blink of an eye. In order to love you have to be vulnerable. You have to be courageous. You have to be willing to sacrifice. You have to be open. You have to be willing to fail. You have to be accepting. You have to experience joy. You have to have hope. Every virtue includes love. Its inevitable. My advice to you is to not suppress love but instead absorb it. But remember that no one deserves fake love so don’t give fake love.

No comments:

Post a Comment