Sunday, October 28, 2018

What Drives Me?

This past week, I  started an essay for the Jiffy Lube scholarship. The winner earns $3,500 and finalists earn $1,500. I've decided to make my essay into one of my blogs. So here is a rough draft of my essay for Jiffy Lube and the answer to the question: What drives me?
I am driven by my desire to change and better an individual through discovery and listening. Discovery and listening are two crucial components to help someone unravel their strengths and resilience. Becoming a clinical psychologist will allow me to specialize in physical health concerns and help patients to manage stress or chronic illnesses. Furthermore, clinical psychologist work with a numerous population that include veterans, athletes, and the elderly. I enjoy working with people and helping them overcome hardships. This past fall, I secured myself an internship at Renown. There, I am exposed to a variety of patients of different age groups, backgrounds, and health concerns. Interning at Renown has been a great experience and has ameliorated my desire to help those in need. I listen to patients’ concerns and communicate their needs with the registered nurses on the floor. I have discovered that a hospital is a fast-pacing environment that I am drawn to.
My desire to help others and better them began when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. His diagnosis took a toll on his mental state and physical state as well. Low mood and depression can constitute in a cancer patient. I witnessed such behavior and tried my best to help manage it. Seeing his behavior change and watch him grow into a stronger and more confident individual, increased my desire to help others.

For a rough draft, it's average. I still have quite a bit of time to revise and edit it. I thought by making my essay into a blog, I would be motivated to actually work on it. Well, I did add on to it. So far, there is some progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment